Finding out that you’re pregnant can be one of the most exciting moments of your life… before it sends you into a decision-making tailspin. When should you go public? Gender-neutral nursery color scheme or princess pink? Should you even find out the gender? And what the heck makes a crib mattress “organic” anyway?
However, there’s one decision that you have to put first: Where to get maternity care and deliver your baby.
Hospitals hand-chosen for maternity expertise and efficiency
Here in the Philadelphia region, we’re lucky to have a large number of options for pregnancy care, from OB/GYNs to natural birthing centers. But how do you choose?
Here’s a good place to start: The Blue Distinction® Specialty Care Program — which identifies health care facilities that deliver exceptional specialty care, safely, effectively, and cost-efficiently — has identified 21 hospitals in our area as Blue Distinction® Centers (BDC) or Blue Distinction Centers+ (BDC+) for Maternity Care!
Why the BDC and BDC+ designations matter
In the U.S., childbirth is the most common reason for hospitalization, and cesarean delivery is the most common operating room procedure, but maternity care practices differ among hospitals. Some of these differences can hurt mothers and babies. BDC and BDC+ hospitals are proven to provide high-quality AND cost-efficient care to patients.
Here’s how the BDC and BDC+ centers were evaluated for exceptional maternity care:
- Percentage of newborns that fall into the category of early elective delivery (induced or cesarean section deliveries between 37 and 39 completed weeks of gestation, when not medically necessary)
- Programs that promote successful breastfeeding
- Overall patient satisfaction, including a willingness to recommend the hospital to others
BDC and BDC+ for maternity care near Philadelphia
|Blue Distinction® Centers
(Recognized for expertise)
|Blue Distinction® Centers +
(Recognized for expertise and cost-efficiency)
We know that you and your baby will be in good hands at any of these facilities. As for picking out a name, well, we can’t help you there.
See if your maternity care is covered at a Blue Distinction Center:
- Log in to ibxpress.com.
- In the Find a Doctor or Hospital section, type “maternal care” and your zip code and click SEARCH. This will automatically generate a list of covered providers.
- In the menu at left, click Blue Distinction Center or Blue Distinction Center+ under DESIGNATIONS. This will show you only BDSC-designated providers. Click on the hospital, and then the PLANS ACCEPTED tab to see if your plan is included.
The Blue Distinction Specialty Care Program recognizes hospitals for several other types of care, from bariatric surgery to transplants. Learn more.