Common health coverage questions answered
These are the most common health coverage questions we receive from our members, as well as some additional options to get help. If you don’t see your question below, our new virtual assistant can help you find what you need, and fast!
Transitioning from an Aetna or United Healthcare plan
My coverage is being converted to an Independence policy. How do I make sure I can use my benefits January 1?
- Pay your bill: We will send you an invoice in late November. To confirm the plan that you were placed in, pay this bill and an ID card will be generated.
- Register for ibxpress: On our member portal, ibxpress.com, you can pay your bill, view and print a temporary ID card, and search for health care providers.
- Pick a PCP: If you have an HMO plan, you will need to pick a primary care physician (PCP) to help coordinate your health care. It’s important to note that your PCP has designated sites for lab work, therapy, X-rays, and more. Find out how to get the most from your HMO.
Using the member website – ibxpress.com
New to ibxpress.com? View a video demonstration to get started.
I forgot my password.
- From the Log In or Register drop-down menu on the right hand side of every page of ibx.com or on ibxpress.com, click Forgot Password?
- Enter your username and click Submit.
- You will be prompted to answer your login hint question.
- A temporary password will be sent to the email address listed with your account.
- From the email with the temporary password:
- Click the link provided in the email.
- Enter the temporary password.
- Enter a new password.
- Click Submit.
What information do I need to register?
- First and last name
- Zip code
- Member ID or Social Security number (Please note that the Member ID field will accept your Social Security number or your Member ID number.)
I got an error message: “Member ID cannot be found.”
The Member ID is the numeric value displayed on your ID Card. Your member ID has 12 digits. If the number on your card has 11 digits, add a “0” at the end when you enter your member ID number.
Note: When you register for ibxpress.com, the Member ID field will also accept your Social Security number.
I am seeing a pop-up message asking me to enter my email confirmation code.
Within a day of registering for ibxpress.com, you will receive an email with a confirmation code. If you don’t see it in your email folder, check your spam or junk folder. If it’s not there, you can still use the portal, just select cancel when the pop-up message appears.
- To remove the pop-up message from future visits, go to Contact Information and select the Resend Confirmation Code link.
- You will receive a new email with a link to confirm your email address.
- Click on the Confirm My Email Address link in the email and log on to the website.
I signed up for coverage that hasn’t started yet. Can I register and login to ibxpress.com?
If you signed up for an Independence Blue Cross health plan, you can access ibxpress.com up to 60 days prior to your new health coverage date. You will be able to print a temporary ID card and, if necessary, change your primary care physician (PCP).
I don’t see my problem listed here.
If you need additional support, please call 1-800-ASK-BLUE (275-2583) (TTY: 711) Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. You can also send an email to our tech support team who will respond within 48 hours.
I just received my new member ID card in the mail. When can I start using it?
You can start using your new member ID card on the date your coverage from Independence Blue Cross goes into effect. This is called the effective date. Be aware that you may receive an ID card up to 10 business days prior to the effective date. If your previous coverage is from Independence Blue Cross, use your old member ID card until the new card’s effective date. If you lost or destroyed your old ID card, you can print a temporary ID card on the secure member website, ibxpress.com.
I have not yet received my member ID card. Can I still register at the secure member site, ibxpress.com?
Yes. You can register for ibxpress.com using your Social Security Number. Simply enter your Social Security Number in the member ID field on the registration form. This field will accept your Social Security number as well as your member ID number.
How can I get a temporary ID card?
If you need a temporary ID card, you have two options:
If cannot access your temporary ID card on ibxpress.com or the IBX app, a customer service rep may help you assess the problem, and provide log on assistance, as needed. Just call 1-800-ASK-BLUE (TTY: 711).
I haven’t received my member ID card but need to get one.
If you haven’t received your member ID card in the mail, there are a few ways to obtain a temporary card:
- Print a temporary card by visiting our member portal at ibxpress.com.
- Download the IBX app to your smartphone, iPad, or Android tablet and log in to view an ID card image.
I don’t have my member ID card but need to fill a prescription.
You can still get prescription drugs that have been prescribed by your doctor even if you have not received your member ID card. Participating pharmacists can confirm health coverage through their systems, or you can ask the pharmacist to call the pharmacy plan at 1-888-678-7012 (TTY: 711) and have them look up the information using member name and date of birth.
My member ID card arrived saying a “Valid PCP Required.” What do I do to change that?
Members enrolled in one of our HMO plans must select a primary care physician. If you receive a card that doesn’t indicate your PCP selection, or says “Valid PCP Required,” please log into ibxpress.com or call our Customer Service Center at 1-800-ASK-BLUE (TTY: 711) to confirm or make your selection. You will receive a new member identification card to reflect your PCP choice.
Need to find a PCP? View a list of our network of doctors.
I have already received prior-authorization for a prescription, but my pharmacist can’t find it in my records.
If you’re a member having trouble filling a prescription because the drug requires prior authorization, there are several options available:
- Ask the pharmacist to call the pharmacy benefits team at 1-888-678-7012 (TTY: 711) to verify your existing prior authorization.
- You can also call the pharmacy benefits team at 1-888-678-7012 (TTY: 711) to verify your prior authorization.
- Ask your doctor to fax a new prior authorization form to Independence Blue Cross at 1-888-671-5285.
Please note, under Independence Blue Cross’s standard pharmacy policy, you can generally receive a 96-hour supply of the prescription right away. When the new prior authorization is updated, the pharmacy can fill the remainder of the prescription.
I’m in an HMO plan and want to select (or change) my Primary Care Physician (PCP).
Members enrolled in one of our HMO plans must select a primary care physician. You can find a list of our full network of doctors on ibx.com and ibxpress.com. There are three ways to select or change your PCP:
- Log into ibxpress.com.
- Use the IBX app.
- Call our Customer Service Center at 1-800-ASK-BLUE (TTY: 711).
You will receive a new member identification card to reflect your PCP choice.
Have an HMO Proactive plan? See more FAQs.
I haven’t enrolled in a plan yet but am interested in getting health coverage.
If you are purchasing your own health coverage, we offer three convenient insurance options to help you find a health plan that works for you:
- Compare and shop for plans at ibx4you.com.
- Call 1-888-475-6206 (TTY: 711) to speak to an Independence Blue Cross sales representative, 8 a.m. – 8 p.m., Monday – Friday.
- Visit Independence LIVE at 1919 Market Street, 2nd Floor, Philadelphia, PA 19103. 8 a.m. – 5 p.m., Monday – Friday. Please note that the Walk-In Services Center at 1900 Market St. is now closed.
I enrolled online but am not sure how to confirm my health coverage and eligibility.
If you haven’t received any information from Independence Blue Cross in the mail, and need to confirm your enrollment, please contact our Customer Service Center at 1-800-ASK-BLUE (TTY: 711) and a representative will be glad to assist you. Our Customer Service Center is open Monday – Friday, 8 a.m. – 6 p.m., EST.
How do I pay my bill?
If you purchase your own health insurance plan, we offer you several convenient ways to pay your bill.
My subsidy amount is incorrect or missing on my most recent invoice. What should I do?
If you recently reviewed your health plan, you may not be aware of a change in your subsidy amount. For example, your February 2017 invoice is higher than you expected it to be due to the federal government reducing your annual subsidy. Subsidy amounts are recalculated every year for a number of reasons. For instance, your household income may have increased, or you may no longer qualify for financial assistance. You can reapply for a subsidy during Open Enrollment, or at any time your income changes, at the Health Insurance Marketplace.
I have questions and would like to talk with someone in Customer Service about my health coverage.
Our Customer Service Center is open Monday – Friday, 8 a.m. – 6 p.m., EST. We know your time is valuable, and we’re sorry for any inconvenience you may experience due to high call volume. You can reach Customer Service at 1-800-ASK-BLUE (TTY: 711).
What can I do to help make my call to Independence Blue Cross customer service go smoothly?
Please have your Independence Blue Cross member ID readily available. Be prepared to enter your member ID number using the keypad on your phone when prompted.
Your member ID number is 12 digits in length and located on the front of your member ID card, underneath your name. If you have a Medicare Advantage plan, this number is 13 digits, with the last digit being a letter from the alphabet. Entering your member ID when prompted helps to ensure that your call is routed to the right person, thereby preventing delays.
How can I stay informed about my health plan?
Staying connected to Independence is one of the easiest ways to maximize your health benefits. You can get personalized health screening reminders, important plan notifications, and cost savings alerts through email or with IBX Wire™, our FREE*, secure text messaging service. To sign up, simply call 1-888-700-1078 (TTY:711) or text IBX WIRE to 73529. Be sure to have your ID card handy.
*Standard message and data rates may apply. Text STOP to stop and HELP for help. Terms and conditions available at www.myhelpsite.net/ibx. Notification messages within IBX Wire are sent via automated SMS. Enrollment in IBX Wire is not a requirement to purchase goods and services from Independence Blue Cross. Wire is a trademark of Relay Network,
41 Responses to “Common health coverage questions answered”
Leave a Reply
Subscribe to IBX Insights
Need Health Insurance?
- ► 2017 (43)
- ► 2016 (72)
- ► 2015 (51)