Medicare can be a challenge to understand and navigate. But planning well in advance of your Medicare eligibility (for many that’s your 65th birthday) can help you get every dollar in Medicare benefits.
These five helpful Medicare milestones will aid you as you start planning for your 65th birthday. If you’re looking for even more information about eligibility, enrollment, and additional coverage, visit ibxmedicare.com.
12-9 months before your 65th birthday
- Think about how you want to spend your retirement. Do you plan to travel or take on new hobbies? Now’s the time to estimate those expenses and budget for them.
- Meet with your employer or call your current health insurer to learn more about the plan options available to you after you turn 65.
8-5 months before your 65th birthday
- Review your Social Security statement to be sure your stated income is correct. While you are at it, contact Social Security by phone at 1-800-772-1213 (TTY: 1-800-325-0778) and ask them about the enrollment period and when you should sign up for Original Medicare — write these dates down.
4 months before your 65th birthday
- Your enrollment period begins now!
- Confirm your eligibility for Medicare benefits by contacting Social Security by phone at 1-800-772-1213 (TTY: 1-800-325-0778) or email at socialsecurity.gov.
- Enroll in Medicare Parts A and B.
3-1 month before you 65th birthday
- Enroll in the plan of your choice: Medicare Advantage (Part C) plan with or without Part D prescription drug coverage or a Medicare Supplement plan (also known as Medigap) to help cover the costs Original Medicare doesn’t pay.
On your 65th birthday
- Relax, eat some cake, and enjoy your day! If you have followed the steps outlined above, you will have all the coverage you want in place.
Still need help? Visit ibxmedicare.com.
This article was originally published on LinkedIn.
Website last updated: 4/9/2018
Y0041_HM_18_64463 Approved 5/22/2018