To celebrate the 80th anniversary of Independence Blue Cross, we were proud to hold our first annual Blue Crew Community Impact Day in June. Community Impact Day exemplifies our company’s mission — to enhance the health and well-being of the people and communities we serve.
Community Impact Day Highlights
Service projects for Community Impact Day were organized by the Blue Crew, our company’s corporate volunteer program.
Nearly 350 associates and interns volunteered 1,200 hours to support this event — this is an in-kind donation of almost $30,000 in time — and participated in 17 projects with 14 area nonprofit organizations that focus on good health and well-being and providing access to nutritious foods.
Here are some highlights of what our volunteers accomplished on Community Impact Day:
- Sorted and stocked more than 20,000 pounds (10 tons) of food at Philabundance, Food Bank of South Jersey, The Rachel Way, and Share Food Program
- Harvested 175 pounds of produce, which was distributed to local soup kitchens
- Served 250 meals at Broad Street Ministry
- Packed 400 children’s meal kits at Food Bank of South Jersey
- Created more than 560 emergency food boxes
- Prepped 850 meals at MANNA
- Assembled 64 meals-to-go and restocked and made baked goods for the Philadelphia Ronald McDonald House
Ways to Give Back to the Community
Even if you don’t have a formal organization like the Blue Crew to volunteer with, there are still ways to get involved in your community. Check out online resources like SERVE Philadelphia to find organizations that are a good fit for you. Also keep in mind that summer is a great time to volunteer, as many nonprofit organizations have a shortage of help this time of year.
If you are looking for enthusiastic volunteers for your service project or event, please complete a Blue Crew volunteer request form.
Volunteers hang artwork at Veterans Multi-Service Center Thrift Store.
Blue Crew volunteers sort food at Philabundance.
Martha Phan bakes cookies for families staying at Ronald McDonald House.
Volunteers pose for a photo before getting to work at Habitat for Humanity.
Blue Crew volunteers eager to make a difference on IBX Impact Day!
Two volunteers sort and restock food at Philabundance.
Volunteers put a fresh coat of paint on furniture at Hope Lodge.