The thrill of victory can be hard to come by in adulthood. The same can be said for time to exercise and opportunities to meet new people. But here’s an idea that covers all three bases if you’re not afraid of getting a little dirt on your shoes: adult team sports!
If this type of fitness activity brings back unhappy memories of your middle school locker room, keep in mind that you can find sports leagues that play at all athletic levels, from recreational to competitive. And it’s not all softball, soccer, and floor hockey; many local organizations offer more laid-back sports, like kickball, dodgeball, and Ultimate Frisbee™.
There’s a wide range of local leagues and sports meet-ups to join, with many focusing on the social side. Regardless, you’ll be getting endorphin-releasing exercise that will brighten your day.
Participating in team sports has been shown to have many positive health benefits, including improving bone and heart health in adults, which is particularly important for women, as well as reducing stress and providing psychological and cognitive benefits.
Just remember that our bodies may not be as durable as they were back in the days of gym class. Learn what you can do to protect yourself from injury.
Ready to get back in the game? Here are some ways to get started:
- Philly Sport and Social
- Philadelphia Sports Network
- Manayunk Sport and Social
- The Philadelphia Freedom Valley YMCA
- Sports Meet-ups in Philadelphia
- Casa Soccer League
- Philadelphia Adult League Softball
- Work leagues: If you think your team at work would make a good team on the field, see if your company is involved in any local leagues. If they aren’t, talk to your Human Resources department, and be sure to let them know about the health benefits of employee exercise.
Have we missed any Philly-area adult leagues or local sports meet up groups? Let us know in the comments.
The inclusion of the above links does not imply endorsement.