There are a million reasons to love the summer, but one of them has to be the chance to break out of the gym and get your sweat on in the fresh air. Here in Philadelphia, there’s certainly no shortage of ways to find your #Fearless Fit in the great outdoors.
Whether you enjoy walking, running, biking, skating, yoga, watersports — or a combo of all of them! — two hot spots for healthy activity in the city are the Delaware and Schuylkill Rivers.
You’ll have panoramic views of the Philadelphia skyline that beat the ones at the gym any day, and both locations are easily accessible when you ride Indego bike share. (#FearlessFit tip: Use your Independence Blue Cross member discount to save green while you go green on an eco-friendly Indego bike.)
Take Your Outdoor Workout in Philadelphia to the Waterfront
There are only 92 days in June, July, and August — and you shouldn’t waste any of them — so let’s dive in to the top ways to take your #FearlessFit workout to the waterfront.
Running along Columbus Boulevard, this six-mile stretch has multiple entry points with four nearby Indego stations.
- Skate and Play — Visit the Blue Cross RiverRink Summerfest to roller skate, play a game of mini-golf, and cool off with a ride on the Ferris Wheel. (#FearlessFit tip: Independence Blue Cross members skate for free.)
- Walk, Bike, Run, and Relax — Work up a sweat by traversing the length of Penn’s Landing and playing classic arcade games like skeeball and air hockey at Spruce Street Harbor Park. After your workout, relax on the lawn or sit on terraced benches at Race Street Pier and just watch the world go by on the water.
- Pose and Paddle — At Penn’s Landing Marina, try stand-up paddle board yoga to find your balance, or power through a section of the water on a rented kayak, rowboat, or foot-pedal boat.
The eight-mile stretch known as the Schuylkill Banks runs from the Fairmount Waterworks to Locust Street, with multiple entry points and several nearby Indego stations.
- Walk, Bike, Run, and Skate — Cover the two-mile section of the Schuylkill River Trail that goes through Center City Philadelphia, or tackle the full ten-mile trail within the city limits by foot or on wheels. Use the mile markers to measure your distance covered and find local points of interest.
- Pose and Paddle — Bring your own mat and towel to join in Yoga on the Banks along the water’s edge at 25th and Locust Streets. Take a guided kayak tour of the river, or launch your own kayak or canoe into the Schuylkill from two designated docks.
- Play — Horseshoes, anyone? Pick out a perfect picnic spot, and work up an appetite by playing some of your favorite lawn games.
Stay #FearlessFit While Staying Cool
Like the sound of mixing up your #FearlessFit routine outdoors, but want a way to beat the heat? We’ve got you covered! You can do something good for your body in air-conditioned comfort at Independence LIVE, our community health and wellness experience center in Center City Philadelphia.
Check out the calendar of monthly fitness, wellness, and healthy cooking classes, which include yoga, Zumba®, and interval training. (#FearlessFit tip: There’s no cost to participate in Independence LIVE classes with your valid Independence member ID card.)