In my home, Sundays are for football! We watch every game on TV, and indulge in our favorite football foods throughout the day. As much as I am a fan of the sport, I’m also a huge fan of all the tasty snacks that go along with football — pizza, burgers, chicken wings, nachos, and dips.
Five Tips for a Healthy Game Day
In an effort to lead a healthier lifestyle, I’ve started to think about ways to make my favorite football foods healthier without sacrificing flavor. The American Heart Association has some easy tips to help make your favorite recipes healthier. Here are some things you can do to make your game day menu healthier while ensuring it’s still tasty:
- Choose healthier meats, such as lean or extra-lean beef burgers, turkey burgers, or salmon burgers. You can also replace traditional fried wings with grilled chicken breast strips tossed in a small amount of your favorite sauce.
- Serve salsa and bean-based dips instead of other high-calorie dips.
- Have vegetables, instead of chips, with your favorite dip.
- Use reduced-fat cheeses in your favorite recipes.
- Drink lots of water. Beer and sodas are usually a staple at any football party, but water is always the best choice to keep you feeling full and hydrated.
Now that I have my meal plan worked out, I can focus on the game instead of keeping score of what I’m eating. When I celebrate the Eagles’ touchdowns this season, I can feel good knowing that I’ll be doing so with healthier food on my table — now that’s something to cheer about!
Game Day Recipes
What’s on your menu this Sunday? Check out these healthier-for-you recipes:
- This artichoke, spinach, and white bean dip recipe sounds sensational, but it is also nutritious.
- Lean beef sliders from the American Heart Association will help you cut down on fat and portion size without cutting flavor — sounds like a winner!
- Mayo Clinic’s easy nacho skillet allows you to indulge in ooey-gooey cheesy goodness without any of the guilt!
- Pizza? Yes, please! This tomato-basil pizza provides a healthy twist to a favorite comfort food.
Learn More About Healthy Eating
Want to learn how to make all your meals healthier? If you’re an Independence Blue Cross (Independence) member, you may be covered for six free annual visits with a registered dietitian. Check to see if your health plan covers nutrition counseling. To find a participating registered dietitian, primary care provider, or another network provider, Independence members can search our Provider Finder Tool or call 1-800-ASK-BLUE (1-800-275-2583) (TTY: 711).